For our recent Simpson Desert crossing we decided to invite along friends and family. We normally travel by ourselves or with one other couple so how did we go with five couples and one family?
With no false pretences we had a fantastic time. Yes, there were difficult moments but it was a wonderful experience. Would we do it again? Yes. Would we do it every trip? No. Travelling as a group should not be entered into lightly. It should be entered with flexibility and eyes wide open.
Why did it how recent group trip work?
- We were selective with who we invited. It sounds harsh but you have to be realistic.
- We had reliable experienced trip leaders who took control of the messy side of planning. (preparation, bookings, group discounts, logistics and timing)
- We had a well-planned trip itinerary which everyone had a copy of. It was open to changed and had several options at each destination.
- We were all open and flexible.
- Within the first few days of travel we were aware of each others strengths and weaknesses and factored these into planning.
- As we were a group of 14 we were often privy to group discounts which was a travel perk.
- We had plenty of “free-time” which allowed everyone to do what they wanted at their own pace.
At the end of the day everyone was there for the right reasons. We were all happy to be travelling through these amazing parts of Australia together. The key to happy group travels is choosing the right people and that we did.
It has been a long while since we updated our travel map of big old Australia. So here it is…. this is our travel paths since the commencement of our blog & indefinite travels back in 2011. As you can see we have barely scratched the surface! This country is well and truly AMAZING!
Where are you up to in your travels? Share your maps with us on our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/norrisaroundaustralia
The mail came today and we have a new toy.
- It’s going to be bright
- It will help us see
- May the force be with you……..Lightforce
We love a good count down here at Norris Around Australia.com Who doesn’t?
Our 2015 4×4 Desert Trek is coming up quickly. In fact it is one month today until D-Day! With one month to go and 12 months of planning or more, everyone involved is itching to hit the road. Time will fly in this prep stage and it will be the 19th of June before we know it.
At the moment we are working on a few upgrades to our 4WD.
Here is what we have done so far:
- We have installed a nice, new and convenient drop down fridge slide.
- Shaun has created a snazzy 12-volt set up which Shaun is absolutely in love with.
- We have replaced the shockies with Bilsteins.
- We have installed a larger water tank and Shaun’s created a superb plumbing set up.
We still have to finish off the plumbing and electrics which shouldn’t take to long. Although we do have only four weekends until the trip sets off. Time does have a habit of getting away from us.
The camping gear has been updated, restocked and sorted. However, there is plenty of organising to do and a few bits and bobs to add here and there.
So in honour of loving count-downs we have THIRTY days to go…..21 work days…..4 weekends….. Let the pointy end of the stick begin….
Remembering Birdsville – What’s not to love?
Check out other posts on our sights about are visits to Birdsville and surrounds!