The Flinders Ranges is one of those special places that keeps drawing us back time and time again.
The ancient and rugged landscape is steeped with history and remnants of the past remain scattered throughout the picturesque landscape.
There is so much for every type of traveller to keep them occupied for days, if not weeks on end. Whether it is the breathtaking vistas, strenuous hikes, historical tours, scenic drives, relaxing strolls, divine dining or simply kicking back around the campfire and soaking in the 5 billion stars above you, the Flinders region really does have something for everyone.
It is hard to choose a only 5 things we love about the Flinders but we tried;
- Blinman; The historic mining town is situated in the Northern Flinders. A quaint historical township with a gorgeous stone pub, an underground copper mine and abandoned ruins. Our highlights included a stroll through the historic cemetery and the side-trip out to Nuccaleena mine.
- Quorn: The historic town began as a railway town and is now the home of the Pichi Richi Railway. A quaint town with beautiful stone buildings and welcoming locals stepping foot in Quorn is like stepping back in time. We loved the ride on the Pichi Richi, the railway workshop tour and exploring the streets of Quorn.
- Parachilna: From Blinman, a scenic drive to the West through spectacular Parachilna Gorge brings you to the famous Prairie Hotel. This outback pub maintains it historic exterior while
- Bunyeroo & Brachina Gorges: Oh my vista! The drive that winds it’s way through the Bunyeroo and Brachina Gorges are nothing short of spectacular. Photographs simply don’t do it justice!
- Moralana Scenic Drive; hugs the outer wall of Wilpena Pound and the colourful bluffs of the Elder Range! A great stop along the way is Black Gap!
There is so much to enjoy and explore in the Flinders – a top 5 simply doesn’t cut the mustard.
Have you been? What are your favourite places to visit?